This melody is found in Upper Egypt, specifically in Moharraq Monastery, the church of St. John of Heraclia and in Assiut. The cantors that preserved this song were Cantor Tawfik Youssef, Cantor Habib Hennawy and Cantor Fayez of Assiut.. In Arabic its title is "Ah ya nayem". It is to be chanted liturgically during communion on Bright Saturday AFTER Banoudi Banoudi (Panouti Panouti).
Lord at rest, | Lord at rest, | Lord at rest, | in the tomb.
Are you living, | or dead? | "I live | forever."
1) On the day of | your crucifixion, | you were silent | and still.
Rise quickly, | O beloved. | Scoffers claim that | you’ve been killed.
2) Hearts afflicted | wait for you. | Those who mourn | call out to you.
We have no other | comforter. | There is no other | king but you.
3) David the prophet, | concerning me, | said my body | will not decay.
Rest assured, then, | that my body | is not abandoned, | left to lay.
4) Lazarus, come | forth untied; | see the tomb of | mystery.
Jesus Christ, | who gave you life, | was crucified | on the tree.
5) I am living. | I am coming | to take those | who believe
To my throne, | to my glory, | to my kingdom, | eternally.
6) I will wipe | every tear | from the eyes | of my sheep.
I will gird myself | and serve you, | O my children, | with victory.
7) Our souls yearn | for you deeply, | O dormant one in | the sepulcher.
Will you rise | and return, | or from us | have you turned?
8) I have finished | my saving work, | as was written | in the scriptures.
Your redemption | was not completed | till I bore death | and suffered.
9) Cast away | all fear, | and remove |all worry.
I've defeated | my enemies. | I will rise and | set you free.
10) He whose hands were | pierced has risen. | Risen is the | King of Peace.
Putting to shame the | adversary. | Truly risen, | King of Glory.
I would like to thank all those that helped with the translation and production of this melody. Jimmy Awad, Sammy Girgis, Mina Makar, Anthony Doss, Peter Mansour and Sandra Shaker, Joseph and Daniel Bibawy, Benjamin Youssef, Andrew Wassef and George and Kyrillos Ibrahim. There will be another track released in a few months as a chorus with these beloved brothers/sisters. This recording is being released now so that the translation can be made available to everyone who would like to use it along with a source for listening.
of , which is