"The theme of the album is Africa - my Africa." Cheikh Lô
Musical maverick Cheikh Lô is a unique figure, transcending genres and cultures to produce a sound that is unmistakably his own. Lamp Fall is the Senegalese musician's first new album in five years. With recording sessions spread across Dakar, London, and Bahia, Brazil, the sound encompasses mbalax, reggae, jazz, funk, flamenco, Congolese rumbas, Cuban guajiras and the rhythms of Brazil.
His third album for World Circuit has a distinctly contemporary feel, whilst retaining a deep spirituality that is essential to Cheikh Lô.
Buy the album here: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/lamp-fall/id695662339
Grammy Award-Winning remix master Andre Allen Anjos of R.A.C. joins me and John Fulford (Fulford's World Podcast) for an unfiltered conversation about Supergroup collaborations, his new album EGO, his multiple song-placements in Film, Television, and Advertising (Entourage, Bates Motel, Girls....) and we talk to Fulford and Andre about the music-scene-hustle and how to get it on. LET GO and check out RAC & FULFORD on the MSC with your host, Music Supervisor David Hayman (Supergroup Sonic Branding Co/Guild Of Music Supervisors) #WEARETHESUPERGROUP
• GET "EGO" by R.A.C. on itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/ego/id1231181089
• GET "EGO" on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/4soSC3Y3hkAczeDVklfp34
• @RAC // rac.fm // FB: www.facebook.com/remixartistcollective // rac.tumblr.com
• JOHN FULFORD MUSIC: www.johnfulfordmusic.com // Twitter: @jfulfordtheiii // SC: @john-fulford-music
• FULFORD'S WORLD: https://www.youtube.com/user/MusicSyncLicensing (hear the swapcast with David Hayman/RAC)
• DAVID HAYMAN Music Supervisor IMDB: www.imdb.com/name/nm2305722/
• SORELLE SOUND: www.facebook.com/SorelleSound/
• GUILD OF MUSIC SUPERVISORS CANADA: www.facebook.com/Canadian-Guild-o…405344909579562/
• SUPERGROUP SONIC BRANDING CO: wearethesupergroup.com #WEARETHESUPERGROUP
FEATURED TRACKS IN THIS EPISODE:
• "THE BEAUTIFUL GAME" by R.A.C. ft. ST LUCIA @st-lucia
• "LET GO" by R.A.C. ft. MNDR and Kele (for Alicia)@mndr @keleokerekeofficial
• "IT'S A SHAME" by R.A.C. ft. PINK FEATHERS @pinkfeathers
• "UNUSUAL" by R.A.C. ft. MNDR @mndr
Thank you to Ninja Tune @ninja-tune / Deckstar www.deckstar.com
Taken from the album 'Lamp Fall'.
Upon the UK release of Cheikh Lô’s Lamp Fall on World Circuit Records The Times described it as “a triumph,” while The Independent on Sunday noted the record “takes in Cuban and Brazilian sounds to brew up in a wonderfully heady mix." Both gave the record four stars.
Lamp Fall displays the breadth of influences and musical styles that distinguish Cheikh Lô, one of Africa’s most beloved artists. It was recorded in Dakar, London, and Brazil with local musicians and also includes sounds from Cuba, Jamaica, and Spain. The songs feature diverse instruments such as Indian sitar alongside Pee Wee Ellis’s horns and Brazilian carnival percussion ensemble Ilé Aiyé. Lô sings and accompanies himself on acoustic flamenco guitar.
Lamp Fall traverses the themes most important to Lô: love and war, life and death, education and spirituality. As a devout member of Baye Fall, a Senegalese form of Islam and part of the larger brotherhood of Mouridism, he dedicates his music and his life to Bamba Fall, founder of the movement. The record takes its title from an important disciple of Baye Fall: Cheikh Ibra Fall (also known as Lamp Fall). As Lô explains, “The theme of the album is Africa—my Africa.”
Available on Amazon and iTunes.
Visit World Circuit Records or go to Cheikh Lo’s Facebook page for more info.
REEREE social media -
facebook: Ree Ree Kappalot
KELLE social media -
facebook: Gnf Ken/Stfuu Kelle
Soundcloud: Ken Kelle